Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Open Letter to Cormac Mccarthy

Dear Mr. (Cormac) McCarthy,
I really liked your book. I felt a little lame for finishing it so fast, because it was assigned in school, but I must admit it was very hard to put down once I started it. It addresses many issues. Arguably the most overbearing issue is the apocalypse. I think it symbolizes what is happening to the world, and it is a realization that our lifestyles are unhealthy. It is frightening to think of a generation of people that will never see the sun, or animals, or civilization. I think it is a good thing you wrote this book, because it turned into a movie, and it makes this realization more public. Another issue the book addresses is love. As teens, we are getting to that age where we personally, or the people around us, are falling in love. By no fault of our own, we all know very little about love. We think it is ok to "love" our boyfriends or girlfriends no matter how wrong they are, or how unhappy we are. Somehow someone put into our minds that unconditional love between a man and a woman, or in our case a girl and a boy, is acceptable and it is not. This book has an appropriate setting for unconditional love. It is the love a man has for his son, and it is the most vivid and accurately depicted portrayal of unconditional love that I have ever read about. I thought this part of the book was very moving, and I'm glad i got a chance to read it.
Thanks Mr. (Ian/Cormac) McCarthy.

Victoria E. Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment